Charles M. Klein
1932-06-24 to 2014-01-05
Lakewood Congregational Church, 2014-03-15
Lakewood Yacht Club, 2014-03-15
Jupiter Inlet Colony, Florida, 2014-01-11
Hobe Sound Community Presbyterian Church, 2014-01-11
Photo by Dan Sargent
Photo by Ann Stillwater
Bev and Janet found a handwritten copy of The Dalai Lama's Instructions for Life 2008 in a basket of important papers in the den. (A quick internet search revealed this list to not really be from the Dalai Lama, but the sentiments were clearly were powerful enough for Dad that he handwrote the list rather than printing it out.)
Chuck Klein's handwriting:
The Dalai Lama's Instructions for Life
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three R's:
- Respect for self,
- Respect for others and
- Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don't let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
7. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don't let go ofyour values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your needfor each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
Follow this link to Barbara Klein's memorial page.